One paw forward, two paws back

 With Edgar it seems just when I think he is getting it, he has a relapse.  Poor Susie cat, who spends her days hiding in the closet and nights (happily) on the bed with me, began to think just maybe she could make friends with this dog.  So she began sitting on the very edge of the bed in the morning, overlooking Edgar's bed.  I watched as Edgar took notice of Susie and they very gently touched noses.  Edgar did not have his usual "Ahha --a cat" look.  A bit later w hen Edgar was lying quietly beside me as I worked at the computer, Susie slowly ventured out to the living room.  Edgar leaped up growling and barking and went after the cat.  I tried to grab his harness, missed.  Sue flew around the room then dodged back into the bedroom and into the closet.  At one point he actually seemed to have had his mouth on her shoulders.  I thought he would surely break her neck.  He never once looked at me so there was no way I could signal any correction to him.  Not sure he would have paid any attention anyway.  

When I uncovered Susie from her place deep in the back of the closet, I discovered that she was completely (physically anyway) unharmed.  Emotionally, though, she is undone.  

I wish I knew if Edgar is wanting to play or what.  He moves so fast and sounds so very fierce I think he has destroy on his mind.  I sincerely hope I am wrong about that.

In every other way he is doing better all the time.  I think we have made good progress as we begin our 8th week together.  Yet his issue with cats and dogs---he actually watches the young rabbits hopping around at dusk and many birds, especially Robins, during the day darting past and never makes a lunge or a sound, ---is at a standstill.

Today he almost yanked me out of the wheelchair when he spotted Pat and her 2 dogs walking by the mailboxes.  Pat hid her dogs behind a parked car until I managed to get Edgar into the apartment.  

His behavior is hard for me to understand since the foster Mom told me he was fine with her cat and dog.  I don't know about her cat, but it is obvious her dog had the upper paw over Edgar since she gave him a sizeable bite on the neck.  The day I adopted him I asked the attendant to walk him past some dogs.  Edgar walked by completely ignoring not only the dogs, but also the cats in cages.  So I had no idea this would happen.

I hoped to try Jon's idea of crating Susie and letting them "meet" that way.  Susie, who likes her crate, would not let me put her in without an arguement now that she knows Edgar is in the house.

I guess I will only be seeing Susie at night.  She does come out of the closet when I am getting ready for bed and quickly jumps up on my bed. There she spends the night on the pillow next to mine, purring happily.  I feed her and give her water --on the bed!  (with a plastic cloth beneath the bowls ).

This is getting old fast.  I will not think of giving Edgar up.  But I have to find a solution, or at least see some glimmer of hope in that direction, before too much longer.

I am open to any suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols