Edgar today


This morning I tried Jon's suggestion of hand feeding Edgar.  He watched me fixing his breakfast of kibble with a bit of canned dog food mixed in.  Then instead of dropping the bowl in front of him, I held it in my lap.  I took a few kibbles in my palm and, fully expecting a growl at the least, I offered it to him.  He very gently lifted the pieces from my hand with his tongue.  We repeated this several times before I placed the bowl down in front of him keeping my hand on the rim as he ate the first few bites.  No growl--!

All day he has been such a good dog.  Once he went to the window and barked when a truck went past.  I just ignored him.  He came to me expecting the treat and I did not even look at him. He lay down next to me.  Never barked at a thing outside or from the window all day.  Just now we went out for his last long outing of the day.  That black stray Tom cat was sitting impudently right at the end of my walk.  Edgar saw him, whined a bit, the cat never moved.  I made no move or leash movement-just watched it play out.  Edgar went about his business.  Then proceeded to walk back to the door.  I had set the bowl of Meow Mix by the door for Ginger.  Since I did not want that black cat to get it I reached down right under Edgar's nose and picked up the bowl. This is how I got bitten that 2nd day.  This time Edgar watched and made no move nor  even a look of interest.

 Susie has stayed out of sight all day.  I have great hopes, while not expecting miracles, that Edgar may not go after Susie.

I repeated the hand feeding at supper time.   Is this responsible for the improvement in Edgar's behavior?  I think it certainly helped.  I am earning his respect--his acknowledgement of me as pack leader.

Hellion?  I think not Jon.  He is a sweet little guy who has never had good care.  All he needs is care, love and guidance in his silent world.  I know there will be set-backs.  I do see a wonderful pal emerging from this scruffy red pile of fur.  Just now he came over and rested his chin on my knee.  The expression in his eyes would melt an iceberg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols