May Day morning

May Day morning has arrived bringing sunny skies, slightly humid air and a light breeze.
I rose with high hopes for the Hummingbird feeder cause. 
Having been out on my scooter late last night speaking with those who were still up enjoying the peace
of this lovely Spring evening here in Virginia, I was somewhat prepared for  disappointment.  I was
told by a few residents that the flyer I had passed out two days ago-an invitation to join in the cause of reinstating the right to have Hummingbird feeders- was in fact,  propaganda!  Please define propaganda.
Seems the community manager had actually said this to one resident who passed it on.  Not sure how much damage was done.
Anyway, the faithful few were up early and had glistening,  syrup-filled, red and crystal feeders dangling from tall black shepherd's hooks in their flower beds.  About a half hour after her arrival, our  manager
was going around taking pictures of each feeder and noting the unit number where the feeder was displayed.  When she came to mine, I called her inside.  She said Joseph had told her to do this and to report to him all the "offenders."  She is also to give each one displaying a feeder a letter of "infraction"
which she said we would be receiving later today.  She maintains Joseph will only listen to a report sent
to him from a legitimately organized tenant association- something we tried in vain to organize in the past.
She told me she really wished I would just send people to her and not take on this type of "responsibility" personally.  I told her I would love to do it through a tenant's association.  I am not trying to be either a hero or a martyr.  Just that a few of us did work very diligently to start such and we had almost no attendance. 
I don't know where this will go now.  Will those who get these forthcoming notices leave their feeders out anyway or will they just give up and give in?
We have requested that the photos taken this morning be forwarded to HUD.  The elimination of birds etc. is not their ruling.  HUD concern is for safety, health and happiness of tenants.
I told Kathryn, the manager, that   "Happy people are quiet people".  She can pass that on to  the the
higher-ups.  They are having a general meeting of managers from several of the metropolitan owned
properties this coming week with the owners of Metro-prop.  I will be interested to see what comes from that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols