Comfort of a dog

I admit it--I am worn out.  This flower (success) and Hummingbird feeder (possible failure) has taken all I had to give-or most of it.  My mind thinks it is 30 years old but my complaining body knows better.
I have done all I know how to do.  Que sera, sera.
Dear old Hannah seems to sense my mood.  She has been more affectionate than usual for her in the morning.  As I sat in front of my laptop, not knowing what to write, ready to forget the whole thing, she sat next to me, first gazing up with those  soft brown eyes, then going to the shelf where her leash reposes.  She raised one eyebrow, a particular gesture of hers that I adore , saying "let's go outside. I want to sniff the breeze and roll on the grass in the warm sunshine."
I hugged Hannah.  I love her warm doggy scent--she has a nice smell.  She calmed me and we went out.
She posed, bird dog style, reading the messages on the wind.  I watched the Robin on the lawn,
tugging out a hapless worm.  The breezes ruffled Hannah's long wavy coat, they whispered through my graying hair.  We absorbed nature's balm.
We came back inside, she ready for her delayed morning nap, and I to sit before the computer.
The comfort of a dog--their presence, the warmth of their body pushing against you, their delight in the little things.  What a wonderful gift to man (and woman  ;- ). 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols