Ginger gets a Rabies vaccination

Despite much advice to the contrary, I did not have Ginger euthanized.  She is still with us, enjoying the sunny morning today,
washing up out on the sidewalk after having breakfast indoors. 
Tuesday morning she received a Rabies vaccination given by Dr. Watkins, the veterinarian who  cares for my pets.
Rabies is a neurotropic viral disease.   It can affect any mammal.  The victim dies a horrible death.  Once it has infiltrated the brain there is no cure.  It is transmitted by saliva, usually in the form of a bite, but can be contracted if infected saliva enters through a scratch or other wound.
Fortunately for humans there is an antidote if given soon after the contact.  Two of my children went through this series of injections:
my daughter when she was bitten by a stray dog while traveling in the East and my son who was bitten in the ear by a bat in New Jersey. 
Fortunately for domestic animals there is a pre-exposure vaccine which can be given by a veterinarian.
Controlling Rabies in wildlife has had many options suggested.  To my knowledge there is none in effect to date.
All states in the US require domestic dogs be vaccinated from 6 months of age.  Many cities/areas are now requiring that domestic cats be vaccinated.  The latter is more difficult to enforce as cats are not ordinarily required to be licensed.
An original injection is given to the pet, with a booster one year later.  This second injection is considered a "three year" vaccination, after which boosters are required every three years.
Ginger had a Rabies inoculation at the time she was trapped and neutered and ear-tipped as part of the feral colony residing at Joseph's Dream.  That was about 9 years ago.  So she was no longer protected.  She needed another.  Tuesday morning when Ginger appeared at my door looking for her Meow Mix, I told her I had a special treat.  I had crushed a sedative tablet and mixed the powder with some turkey and gravy.  Ginger gobbled this immediately, unaware of the medication.  After about 20 minutes she became wobbly, her third eyelids beginning to show.  I waited.  But this is as far as she went!
I tried to urge her to enter my large cat carrier to no avail.  She could still maneuver rapidly, if somewhat awkwardly, and was quick to bite.  (I did not get bitten).  Thinking I must have underestimated her weight (sedative amount is given by weight) I
mixed up another "treat" which she was still able to lick down.
The Vet was due in about 20 minutes.  I was beginning to wonder if this would work, when suddenly Ginger curled up on the rug and dozed.  Now I slid the carrier, door open, towards her body.
With the side of my foot, I gently and slowly eased her inside the carrier.  She lifted her head, looking very inebriated, and meowed softly.  
When Dr. Watkins came, she simply opened the crate door, talked to Ginger a few moments, rubbed her neck, and slipped in the needle.  It was all over.
All over except for Ginger returning to normal enough to be released back to the outside world.
Ginger slept all afternoon, with a towel draped over the crate.
About 6:00pm, she began to move around and howl.  Her vocal- izations did not sound like Ginger's normal voice.  Putting the carrier in my bathroom where there was a litter box available and also a dish of water, I opened the crate door and made a hasty retreat from the bathroom, closing that door behind me.
After a few indignant meows, Ginger was quiet.  When I peaked in she had peed in the box and was  now sleeping on the shelf on top  of my towels.  
At 9:00 I let her out into the living area.  She was SO affectionate!
Not her ordinarily timid self, she kept rubbing around my ankles-
a dangerous thing to be doing with a wheelchair.  When I went to the bedroom and opened up my bed in preparation for sleep, Ginger jumped up and discovered my fleece blanket. She began at once to knead and purr, pulling tufts from my poor blanket!  After a time she curled up and went to sleep.  I don't believe she had ever been in a human bed before.  She seemed completely at ease.
When I took Hannah out at 10 for her late night pee, Ginger strolled out of the bedroom.  She was walking normally-balance seemed fine, so I let her step out the door with us.  She sniffed that breeze, sat for a minute, then wandered down the sidewalk.
Next morning very early  Ginger appeared at my open window.
She was carrying a deceased mole in her mouth.  
Back on the job!  
We have a tenant association meeting tomorrow.  I will read the notes of the last meeting and while I have the floor, I will tell this story.  
Do you think the majority of the residents will want to see management remove this good cat?  Or will Ginger have gained more than Rabies immunity?

Comments

  1. Well, the answer to that question is a no-brainer for me. You have done an amazing job of caring for this kitty. Bless you, Cynthia. I am so hoping all goes well with the "authorities". Please keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis