Skip to main content

After the long hard fight

This has been one of the toughest battles of my life and I have had a significant amount.  Some people seem to think I was fighting for Ginger because I loved her.  She is a good cat.  I like her a lot.
She is not my cat, though.  I have been fighting for her right to
remain where she was born  10+ years ago and to continue to live the life she was born to live.  She has always had some assistance from two ladies who lived here previously and for the past three years, from me.  She was one of a small colony and is the last survivor.  
Now because of a couple of complaints, she is being forced to leave.  There are more people here who want her to stay than wish her gone.  Apparently majority does not rule.  
Rules have been so misinterpreted or defined in a slanted way to make it sound as though I am breaking my contract agreement by
providing food to a cat I do not own.  I am not.  The wording in our contracts specifically states that the rules against feeding feral cats do not apply to communities under HUD   which are designated as "elderly"--which JD is.  I have been told this is private property (Metroprop) so that statement does not apply.
Things are being said which are contradictory, even in the same
sentence as the manager says it.  
But she has "gotten to" the TNR rep, Kelly, before i did and looks like she has convinced her that I am the "bad guy".
I can't fight city hall.  As so many times happens in this country,
the big bucks win.  While it looks like my loss, the real loser is  Ginger
She will apparently be removed from this property and placed on a farm somewhere, which might be nice enough for a young cat.  My fear is that Ginger will not stay and will meet a sad end trying to return home.
I have written to Kathryn saying that I will continue to feed Ginger until they remove her.  I will not aid the person who captures her nor will I stand in his/her way.
I have also resigned from my position as recording secretary of the newly formed tenant association.

Maybe Ginger will outwit them.  Maybe they will evict me for 
continuing to "break my lease contract" by feeding her.
I tried to do this within the rules.
This was done yesterday--my 85th birthday.  Not the happiest
of my many birthdays. 
My daughter did come and make it a fun day later and my amazing family did send gifts, cards and phone calls.
 
enclosed are copies of the last 2 letters from Kathryn, Mngr. and
Kelly, Humane society, TNR rep  Feel free to send either or both of them your comments.
Re: Ginger the Cat
Kathryn Bell <kbell@metroprop.org>
To:TNR Bedford Humane
Cc:Cynthia Daniello,Jeanne Chitty
Oct 29 at 4:26 PM
Thank you! 
On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:56 PM TNR Bedford Humane <tnr4bhsva@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello from Bedford Humane Society - specifically, Kelly Delroy, TNR coordinator.

I am certainly impressed with the care and outreach extended to Ginger - and her volunteer caretaker, Cynthia, by management at Joseph's Dream. I am also cognizant of the problems associated with feral cats, whether registered to a colony or not. Thank you all for getting Ginger her rabies shots, and continuing her good care.

If keeping Ginger on the premises - even as a member of a colony - has become a problem, with residents complaints and violation of lease agreements - then, it may be time for Ginger to be relocated. It sounds like that would be a fine solution. It is my understanding that even if a free-roaming cat is a member of a colony, the caretaker has to be in good standing with all applicable property rules and regulations.

I will contact Animal Control as an anonymous inquiry, to determine the rights of a registered colony cat - and who is responsible for its upkeep. It is my understanding that when a person volunteers to feed and provide shelter for a feral, that person is considered the owner in every sense of its meaning.  If owning a feral cat is in violation of the rules at Joseph's Dream, then, it would certainly be best for Ginger to be relocated to an appropriate new site.

Yes. There are instances where a cat will try to return to its home - but when its home is no longer a feasible location, relocating is better than the alternative - which would be placement in a shelter.  Management at Joseph's Dream has a stake in Ginger's future well-being, and it seems to me is doing everything possible to keep Ginger on site. However, if this is in violation of the lease agreement and existing rules and regulations, then, it is not lawful to keep Ginger as a free-roaming animal.

Please let me know how I can be of help in this matter - and I hope that you can all reach a fair and equitable arrangement for all.

Thank you for your care and considerations for Ginger and her long-standing caretakers.

With kind regards,
K. Kelly Delroy, TNR Coordinator

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 1:29 PM Kathryn Bell <kbell@metroprop.org> wrote:
Good Afternoon Ladies, 

I hope this email finds you well.  

I have been in deep thought over the last week about the situation regarding Ginger.  

This has been a very difficult issue for all.  I have a better understanding of what rules and laws that are in place to protect feral cats.  And I have also studied at length the rules of VA and HUD on the proper way to handle feral cats in a subsidized housing community.  It is apparent to me that the safety and care of a feral cat is paramount and the most important issue of all, especially those of us that love and value all types of animals.  

It has always been my goal to do what is best for Ginger while still doing my job, which is to make sure that the rules and regulations of Metropolitan Property Management are being followed to ensure that every resident is living in safe and healthy environment.  I have provided several resources and compromises to Ms. Daniello and anyone that is interested in Ginger's care to keep Ginger on the property while still following the lease obligation.  For various reasons these solutions have not worked out.      Ms. Daniello has taken the initiative to have Ginger's rabies shot updated and also has had her registered into a feral cat community through the Bedford Animal Hospital.  What this means according to Ms. Daniello is that Ginger shots have been updated and she now belongs to a feral community and she will have a volunteer (Ms. Daniello) that will make sure that Ginger is cared for, I think this means that she is fed and also provided shelter during bad weather.  Normally this would be a good thing but I am concerned that this is still a breach of the pet policy and lease agreement at Joseph's Dream. 

Also I have had two reports from residents over the last few days that they have witnessed Ginger going potty in their flower beds and also digging holes to cover up where she has gone potty.  So then they come to me and ask why is she allowed to roam free on the property.  So as you can see this is not an easy situation.  Jeanne has a friend that has a 90 acre property and he is willing to take Ginger and care for her on his property.

I would appreciate if you three ladies can talk among yourselves and maybe come up with a solution that will the best for all.  I want what is best for Ms. Daniello and Ginger, but I have a job to do also.  If you could please let me know something in the next few days I would appreciate it before it is necessary for me to take steps from a management position. 

--
Kathryn Bell
Site Manager, Joseph's Dream 
2100 Joseph's Way
Bedford, VA 24523
540-586-0485
Fax 540-568-0486



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols