The Praying mantis

I believe I had mentioned  seeing a wee Praying mantis on my porch earlier.  They do grow so rapidly!  Or at least I think what I am seeing now is the same one I rescued not that long ago, guiding him (or her) off the cement platform into the garden.

A week ago, Edgar was staring intently at something in the grass.  At first I did not see what he was finding so fascinating, as the grass was in need of mowing and the well camoflaged  creature was himself so green.  There he was, "my" Praying mantis, now a "teen-ager", standing tall among the blades of grass with his hands folded in prayer before him.

Edgar edged forward, sniffing at the small insect, ever so gently.  This boistrous, pouncing dog of mine!  As he eased forward, nose working, he barely touched the miniature triangular head.  SWISH -one tiny hand swept forward, slapping Edgar right on the end of his nose.  Edgar jumped back, startled.  His curiosity was not dissuaded though, so he stretched his neck forward once more, trying to get another sniff of this new attraction.  Once again, a little arm flashed forward , flicking Edgar on the nose.

Edgar backed away.  He lay down on the cool cement.  He watched the Mantis for a long time, until the Mantis became bored with the game and walked slowly back into the density of the garden.

Yesterday the groundsmen came and tore through the lawn area with their roaring zero turn mowers.  I never gave the Praying mantis a thought---until I went out when they had left to sweep off the porch.  There lay a Praying mantis, larger now, not moving.  He was up against the siding of the building, one of his 4 hind legs actually on the siding.  I pulled up a stem from the garden and gently touched his body.  The little head turned towards me.  I could swear he looked right into my eyes with his big dark orbs.  He reached out his arms, but still did not try to move forward.  As I examined him I realized that one hind foot was caught in the seam of the vinyl siding.  The mower must have blown him against the building so hard the he got his foot stuck.  With one finger I attempted to lift the thread-like leg upwards to free the little foot.  The mantis lay quiet, with his face still turned towards me.  The leg came free.  He shook it.  Then boosting himself upright he slowly walked away.



 

Comments

  1. I'm amazed and happy for your mantis friend. You're a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss hearing from you…. How are you and Edgar doing. Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same as Judy says! Miss your wit and insights.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fairy Parasols