Edgar has a spa day

It was hot and muggy out on the porch as we awaited the arrival of Nomi, the new person in Edgar's life.  She arrived right at the time she had said she would.  Edgar greeted her with waving tail and his silly Corgi bounce.  We came inside to the welcome A/C.  Nomi looked at my bathroom to see where she would be working with Edgar.  Not much room in there and since this is a handicap apartment, no bath tub.  Just a large shower stall with a bench.  I had laid out Edgar's four big bath towels and his medicated shampoo.  Nomi spent some time getting acquainted with my boy before going back into the bathroom.  Edgar peeked in to see what she was  up to, then followed her in.  Nomi quickly shut the door.  I stayed out in the kitchen.

Having spent many years doing dog grooming myself, I anticipated she would rather have the dog's owner out of sight, and yes--she does find things work better that way.

So I sat doing a crossword puzzle at the table, anxiously listening to sounds coming from the bathroom.  Nomi knows that Edgar is deaf, but like me, she talked to him as she encouraged him to get into the big wash tub.  I heard when she turned on her blow dryer.  I was pretty certain the sound was no problem--not sure how he would like air blowing on him.  About 30 minutes into their isolation Edgar began to whine.  The whine became a moan.  Then sheer panic.  Which lasted only a second and stopped.  

The pair exited the bath room.  Such a handsome, fluffy, red dog!  Nomi reported that Edgar had been very good.  No problem in the tub and tolerating the blower well.  She cut the nails on his rear feet with little objection on Edgar's part.  The wails began when she tried to do the same to the front feet.  He did not attempt to bite her.  Just became very distressed and vocal.  So she decided to let those nails go until next time rather than risk the chance of another stroke .  Very good thinking.  

I handed her some of Edgar's favorite treats and he  accepted them, cautious in case she wanted to return to the bath room, but no hard feelings for what happened in there.  We all went outside, he to relieve himself.  We watched her leave and Edgar's gorgeous red flag of a tail waved goodbye.

She will plan to come again next month.  In the interim I will begin holding and petting those front paws, so with any luck, Nomi will be able to cut his nails.  They really need it; however, not worth stressing him at this time.

Edgar was one tired boy.  He went right to bed and snored peacefully for three hours.  When he rose, I was so delighted to see that he did not begin chewing at his paws as he usually does.  The medicated shampoo has already eased the itching.

We are one happy pair, so glad to have met this knowledgeable, caring young woman.

My aide comes tomorrow.  I will have her take a picture which I can post so you can see what a handsome dog Edgar truly is.

Comments

  1. Hi Cynthia. I am looking for a new itchy dog shampoo. My poor Callie chews too much. I've used Zymox for years but it is not working as well. What are you using on Edgar now? I can't wait to see a picture and congratulations on finding Nomi. It sounds like they hit it off. Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky,
      The shampoo is called Malaseb, put out by Bayer.
      Edgar also takes Apoquel daily as prescribed by the Vet.
      Edgar was not chewing at his paws today either so the shampoo is working.
      Hope you can find relief for Callie.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cynthia. It would be nice to see her comfortable. She's an almost 11 year old, blind Havanese that we adopted almost 3 years ago. Apoquel didn't seem to help but we'll keep trying!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols