Update on Edgar and the cats

Edgar is one tough doggie.  The shock collar has not achieved the result I was so hoping for.  He has had three good jolts from it when after Ginger.  Now, while he does not jump at her when he sees her lying on the walk, he does whine and wag his tail and the moment Ginger gets up and starts to walk away, he lunges and barks.  I have the charge set at 90 (out of a possible 100).  He yelps and all four feet come off the ground all while looking right at the cat.  He has no idea the collar is responsible as he has learned to "stand" on signal command while I put it on before we go outside.  He puts his head right into it, standing quietly until the leash is attached to his harness and I give him the two pats on his butt that means it is okay to move.  What am I doing wrong?

I have not even tried using it when Pat comes by with her two little dogs.  Nor have I had it on in the house to deter Edgar from chasing Susie.

 Susie has chosen her own way to deal with him.  She stays on the bed until she peers over the edge to find Edgar sound asleep.  Being deaf, he does sleep very soundly.  After both Edgar and I are in bed for the night, Susie slips out of the bed room and takes her nightly tour of the apartment.  When she returns, she stops at the doorway and watches Edgar for a  moment before venturing back inside and hopping on the bed to curl up on the pillow next to mine.  I am glad she does get to move around the apartment at night, but I wish it did not have to be that way.

Edgar is very tight to me, always with one eye on my whereabouts during the day.  He learns new things quickly and once learned is very reliable.  However, his old habits just won't be erased.  I hit another one when I tried to get him into the tub-just a low black rubber washtub-- to bathe him.  There was no way he was going to do it--not for the best treats or all the strength in my arms pulling on his harness.  I know he hates water--a fight to get him outside in the rain and will not step in wet grass--there must be some history there.  I had no intention of using the shower on him, just a tub of warm water with his special shampoo.  It didn't happen.  He was not a bit aggressive in his refusal, he simply set his brakes and said "No way."

So I guess I will call my Vet and ask if there is someone there who can come here and give me a hand.  He needs a bath for his  feet which are getting itchy and have a yeasty odor.  Otherwise he is very clean and loves being brushed.

Edgar has a mindset of his own.  On this Father's Day Edgar reminds me of my own father.  And I never really figured out how to deal with him either.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols