Collar training

I had been hoping one shock with the collar would solve the cat problem for Edgar.  Finally, with the help (on the phone) of my son, Sean, I got the collar figured out.  One evening, knowing Ginger would be outside awaiting her supper, I collared Edgar and as we exited the doorway, he spotted the cat.  He charged, I gave the No yank on the leash and immediately zapped.  Edgar yelped and all four feet came off the ground.  I felt like crying, how could I be so cruel to the dog I love, but just gave him a treat when he came back to me.  "Well now that is over", I foolishly thought.  For when he recovered, he went right back after the cat.  Repeat zap.  Two neighbors watching from their porch looked as if they were about to call the ASPCA.  Ginger wisely took off for the woods.  

Next day when we went out  Ginger was on the next porch.  Edgar spotted her, whined and groaned, but did not bark or go after her.  He really wanted to though--tail stiff, ears up and body at full alert.  Ginger stayed put on the neighbor's porch.  After a few minutes I coaxed Edgar to his pee post where he performed, seeming to have given up on cat hunting for the moment.

Every time that we go out now he checks the chair where Ginger sleeps and sniffs around her food bowl.  He is looking for her- but for what purpose?  I have not gone out without the collar just in case we need a follow-up.  This is one tunnel vision, tough little dog.  The collar training is not going as I had hoped.

 As for Susie, she has not given me the opportunity to test the collar when she is off the bed.  She never leaves the bed unless she determines that Edgar is sound asleep.  

Edgar has no objection to having the collar put on and off.  He just stands by my side allowing me to slip it over his head and pull the buckle up snug. So I guess we just keep doing this until I actually have Ginger within attack area again and see how Edgar responds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols