Finding Out

Reading through the large medical file the shelter sent with Edgar, I discovered much info I had not been told.  I had asked if he was heartworm tested and they said he was Negative.  They forgot or just neglected to say that he was Ehrlichea positive.  He was receiving antibiotics for that and he came with two more days worth of pills. Record also indicated he had kidney disease and was on K/D diet. As I mentioned, the foster Mom had said she thought he was a bit hard of hearing.  My daughter and I tested him with banging pans behind him, and other sounds where he did not see the cause and determined that Edgar is totally deaf.  Now I realize I have really taken on a challenge-- an untrained , adult, Chow/Corgi mix with some bad habits and DEAF.  I called my Vet, Dr. Joy Watkins, and was able to get an appointment for Edgar right away.  I don't know what I would do without her.  She is amazing.  She sent two of her aides to pick Edgar up.  He spent the day and when the office closed, Dr. Watkins, herself, brought Edgar home.  We talked.  I had sent a copy of Edgar's medical records with the aides who came for Edgar.  She had reviewed them carefully and then examined Edgar.  Great news!  Edgar does not have to be on the K/D diet (expensive).  He can have any good quality senior kibble.  She felt he is between 8-9 years old-- not 6 as I was told, but that is fine.  I will continue with his ear treatments and will use the Silver colloidal gel on his wound.  He will take the Apoquel for the rest of his life most likely.  And yes-Edgar is totally deaf.  All in all, it was a much better report than I had anticipated. She said he was very well behaved when examined and in the kennel during the day.  He is very good about cleaning his ears, easy to pill when they are wrapped in Velveeta.


Edgar ought to have many good years yet.

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Cynthia,
    I am so sorry that you had such a difficult time finding another dog companion and overjoyed that you found such an endearing one. Hopefully he will learn and correct his bad behavior areas.

    My English Setter Jesse that we adopted from a rescue group had the same way of playing! He would hide his bone in one of 2 laundry baskets in our closet and then come to find us, so happy and eager for us to find it. He would lead us to the bedroom with his eyes sparkling and then watched us search. We didn't know which one he selected or which end of the basket he would choose. If we couldn't zero in on it he would point its' location out to us by putting his nose about a foot of it. When we found it he was overjoyed as we presented it to him. He loved receiving gifts, even if it already was his already in the past. It was so cute.

    Happy for you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse sounds absolutely delightful. I love the name--would have named Edgar Jesse; however, the name he came with stuck--and it really doesn't matter to him. I have never owned an English Setter but always admired the breed. Edgar's issues became more open as he became more comfortable in his new home. As you will see when I continue his story.
      But I already love the little guy. He has been here just over 3 weeks now.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to know you are alive and well! Really missed hearing from you - you have been a joy to read as you share what is happening in your little corner of the world, especially in the world filled with so many complicated issues...

    Sorry about the loss your sweet dog but happy to see that you have a new companion. My older dog, Ranger, is what is seeing me through the time of Covid... I welcome you back with great enthusiasm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have had fun telling my stories to gals here before COVID. Now for some time we cannot gather. So writing again is my pleasure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols