Skip to main content

Day 4 with Edgar

 




Thu, Mar 11 at 5:58 PM
 Edgar was fine this morning--out 45 mins and no barking at people or cars.  During the day he barked wanting me to take him back out.  first time I did only to discover all he wanted was for me to obey him.  After that I ignored the barking and he gave up and settled down.  This afternoon he has turned into a monster!  It began with a loose dog running around outside (no owner around) and he went wild.  I finally got him back inside.  Got out a new toy.  He only played a minute.  Then he attacked Ginger-went after her barking and teeth snapping.  They dumped over plants.  I got him by the harness and held him back, but he continued so I took him by the scruff of the neck--whereupon he swung around and would have bitten me.  It is so difficult when he cannot hear a thing.  Hard to correct or praise him.  He has learned new good things fast.  His apparently old habits are not so easy to deal with.  But it is only day 4.  We are inside now and I made myself some mint tea and he is lying quietly next to me.  He is happy and friendly with everyone--as long as we do it his way.
That has got to change.  I bought a  book on training older dogs with difficult problems.  NOW if I get a quiet moment to read it.  LOL  
.  Also the no barking outside is going very well.  I have started allowing him 10 mins to eat and picking up the dish whether he eats or not.  Cannot pick up the dish with my hand--I use the grabber.  He will attack my hand but ignores the grabber.  I was thinking of putting a bite glove on and letting him bite and it not get him anywhere, but thinking just reinforcing the submission in smaller ways is better.  I have to read the book. 
He is not cuddly.  Foster says he was with her, but she had a couch.  I think b/c he cannot get up close to me due to the chair, he thinks I don't want him cuddling.  Or maybe it is just so much change.  Previous owners??  Sure did not take good care of him.  then shelter for a month, then foster for 5 months, then here for 3 days and I send him back to a "kennel" for a day.  I have some rescue remedy I can slip him--maybe I ought to take it!
Anyway- I have to give it time.  I believe under all this show of bravado, there is a good dog.



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols