Clouds-what do you see?

I have always been a cloud watcher.  My sister Patty and I used  to lie on the lawn on an old plaid blanket and stare into the sky,
seeing ice cream cones, unicorns, fluffy white cats with huge 
feathery tails, all the things of a child's fancy. 
Years later my little grandson, Brenden and I would lie in the hammock beneath the big old maple trees and watch the clouds.  Brenden almost always saw animals.  He had a white
Standard Poodle, Sam, who was his real-life pet.  Maybe that is why he saw "real" animals in those clouds rather than the fanciful things Patty & I saw as children.  Or perhaps that is simply the difference between male and female  interpretation?
On the farm we watched the sky for those dark, ominous towering clouds full of rain and possibly lightening, which threatened to damage the new-mown hay drying in the August sunshine.  Lightening was a major concern on that farm as the house and barn sat atop a slight hill with the fields, stream and bog area below.  Also it was close to Lake Champlain, which possibly drew lightening.
When my daughter ,Terry, lived in Oklahoma she learned to watch those similar black clouds for a tail to drop down indicating a tornado dwelt within.  
She had a fairly lengthy commute from the college where she taught, to her home  every late afternoon, past areas of wide open spaces which allowed an expansive view of the sky.  On
occasion she would watch the movement of a cloud and when she sighted the dropping of a "ladder" to the earth, she would
take a different route around that cloud to her home. Terry lived through many tornados during her 8 years in Oklahoma.
Even one that destroyed brick houses two blocks from her own.
Clouds seen from the window of an airplane in flight resemble
soft, puffy bed quilts.  Gazing out the window you could swear one could step from the plane onto that  cotton counterpane and float over the earth and under the peaceful blue sky.  I was, for many years ,very much afraid to fly.  Clouds helped me to erase my fears.  A window seat, "feeling" the clouds as the plane passed over them, I drifted into relaxation, enjoying the ride.
 This past year I have been seeing cloud formations, colors and activity such as I have never noted in all my 85 years.  While
most are beautiful, I wonder why now, and what their presence
portends.  My residence is located a short distance from the Blue Ridge mountains- I have a view of Sharp Peak from my kitchen window.  At sunset the clouds often form in layers. A thick, dark gray cloud resting along the top line of the mountains is holding a band of rose, which is frosted with a fluffy thin white cloud layer.  Two nights ago we experienced an enormous moon, one day away from full.  It was a cloudy night, had rained all day, and some of those rain clouds still lingered in the sky.  Now the bright moon came sliding across those clouds creating  white lace edging around each and every black cloud.  Absolutely breath-taking.  I may never see it again.  I will never forget it.
Poems and songs have been written about clouds.  Children, when drawing the picture of a house, or a dog, or even a flower,
very often include, tucked up there in the sky, a cloud. 
Clouds have held the fascination of mankind since primitive man.  They can inspire every emotion a person can experience-
joy, hope, fear, anger, gratitude, delight, awe---
I wonder what all these new cloud formations we are seeing 
currently are telling us.  

Note:  I do not recall from whence I acquired the photo.  So do not know to whom I should give credit.  I had it in my photo collection--might be one Jon Katz took.  Thank you to the
photographer whoever it be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols