Salmon

We had a pot luck lunch today at Joseph's Dream.  Quite amusing as nearly every dish was some type of salad.  They were all delicious, especially Amy's potato salad.  She is reluctant to divulge her secret ingredients.  Betty made salmon patties.  I was rather hesitant about trying one.  I love salmon but my experience with any kind of loaf or patty thing made with it was not exactly encouraging.  
Once when my children were young I decided to "cook healthy".
Not that we ate a poor diet since we had a big garden and I canned and froze veggies for winter meals too.  But we did like hot dogs and spare ribs with barbecue sauce and steaks on the grill.  Other than tuna and the occasional batch of fish sticks , my children had not been exposed to much fish.  Salmon was just becoming recognized for it's value.  Recipes were beginning to appear featuring different ways to prepare salmon.  So one evening I proudly placed a large salmon loaf on the table.  I sliced off and placed a big piece on each child's plate.  The steaming pinkish squares bore an appetizing appearance.  I waited and watched as each child and my husband took a bite.  My husband left the table.  The youngest child spit it back out.  The oldest one looked at me in horror saying, " Cat food!  How come we gotta eat cat food!"
I ended up making sandwiches for supper that night--bologna sandwiches.
But the thing that not one of those kids has forgotten about that night was that when I offered some of the salmon loaf to the cat, he sniffed and walked away.  And when offered to the dog-who would eat anything--even He did not eat it!
Betty's salmon patties were delicious though.  I enjoyed every bite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols