Flutter-bys

My granddaughter, Seanna, spent much of her time with me when she was a toddler.  In her very early babyhood she "spoke" Korean.  When she came to be with me, since I spoke NO Asian 
language, she was learning to understand and speak English.
She had some very unique names for everyday items:
The piano was a panio.  A flyswatter was a flyswatter. The one I cherish most is her terminology for butterflies.
Flutter-bys makes far more sense than the name we call those lovely, flitting, delicate painted wings that grace our flower beds.
Those wispy flashes of colors bear absolutely no resemblance to the fly we wave away from our food or smash with the rolled magazine.  And from whence came the name "butter"?  While many are a dazzling yellow, there are hundreds more who are cloaked in blue, maroon, black, brown ,orange, reds, and shimmering iridescent greens.  
I have never noted them hovering above the pat of butter on the picnic table.
They do not seem to be attracted to yellow flowers in particular either, actually seeming to prefer reds and pinks.  So why the
name "butterflies"?
Since we were banned from putting out Hummingbird feeders here at Joseph's Dream this summer, many of us opted for planting flowers which would attract butterflies.  We had to keep in mind the 10 inch rule of height for the flowering plants.  We did find several which have been amazing in luring many different
butterflies.  A favorite is Penta. ( I think mine actually has reached about 12 inches but no complaints yet.)  They are a cluster flower composed of many tiny 5 petaled flowerlettes.  They come in a variety of color - mine are pink, red and maroon.  I would need a
specialty book to identify the many varieties of butterflies I am seeing working on those blooms.  They are having to fight for their
spots on which to feed as the bumblebees also find these blooms much to their liking.  Watching this take place I have been amused  to see that while the bees often disturb and drive off the
 large  butterflies, (Swallowtails and Admirals), the tiny ones hold their own.  Tiny yellow ones and mini brown with wee blue spots on their wings must be fierce little guys for they will dive at an offending bee, and chasing him off, will resume their lunch on the flower.  Some of the feeding insects appear to be frantic, wings
beating at a high, nervous speed.  Others maintain a slow rate of wing flap, even stopping at times.
There are also some very small delicate blue butterflies appearing
in large groups around my lawn area.  They seem almost unaware
of the plants, while hovering over and alighting on spots in the lawn where Hannah has peed!  If they are seeking moisture, surely there are places where rain water collects that would be cleaner?
There just seems to be something particular that Hannah's urine
contains that they crave.
While I have missed seeing those scrappy little Hummingbirds, I
have truly enjoyed this new (to me) pastime of  butterfly watching.
I intend to do some research to learn more about them.
And yes--I think I will call them Flutter-bys, for it is certainly a far more accurate description.  Out of the mouths of babes, who see
nature as it really is.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols