Night visitor



Last night Hannah and I went out later than usual -around 10:30. The moon was very bright, even though only about half it's potential size.
Someone was at the dumpster making a lot of noise.  Hannah peed first, then
noticing the racket, she began sniffing the air.  We have a lot of  street lights out now
including those on the office building.  Dark by the mail boxes and the dumpster.  I thought it was strange that Hannah was not barking as she always does at people she doesn't know (or recognize) and dogs.  So I rolled the wheelchair down the sidewalk a way to see who was making the noises.  A really big black bear was shaking the dumpster., his gleaming white claws hooked into the door frame,  Standing taller than any man here, he opened the door , which is high up on the side of the large dumpster,  and hauled out bulging white plastic bags. He batted them around like a kitten playing with a ball of yarn,  until they tore open, the contents tumbling forth. Ginger had come from the chair on Jeanie's porch and I decided we three had best retreat to the house.  I called the police for animal control and the officer said they don't do bears.  "Just stay away".  I called Valerie cause I knew she often went out to walk at night.  I kept Ginger in and she was very good.  Used the cat box and settled into a chair where she was quiet all night. First night this feral cat has willingly stayed inside.  Did she sense the bear might do her harm?  Even I was not certain about that.  Better safe than munched by a bear.
This morning we went out at 6:00.  What a mess! He had a feast and will for sure be back.  Bags, cans, jars, cardboard, melon rinds---- all over parking area.
I called Robert ,when he finally got here,  and told him it was in fact a bear and that Cliff had been correct--it was at least 300 lbs.  Robert said he would have the new guy clean it up.  New guy?  First I have heard, but sounds as tho we have anew maintenance man.
We also really do have a bear.  I had to apologize to Cliff this morning.  I had dismissed his claim of seeing a huge bear one night recently.  This bear is much larger than the bear who frequented my fields in North Carolina.  "My" bear was a sow who showed up one Spring with a pair of twins.  She never bothered my 
bird  feeders, my garden , or the hens.  I even rolled my trash can out to the street for early morning pick up-a long way from the house- and only one night was it tipped over and investigated.  That could have been dogs.  If  it was the bear, she only came that once.  Maybe my garbage was not interesting enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols