Stink Bugs-

I began writing this a week ago--when the miserable event occurred.
Here we are, almost Christmas, and I guess that is about the only excuse I have for such a long delay in putting fingers to  keyboard.

Anyway, back to Stink bugs. For those of you who live where these ghastly creatures have not yet made their presence known I will only say how very fortunate you are.  As far as I can see they have absolutely no use.  They also have only one enemy (other than man)
and that is the Praying mantis.  The Stink bugs are not native to Virginia.  They were brought here to solve a previous problem and like so many things that were relocated to solve a problem, they have themselves become a problem.  They have multiplied  without fear as there are far less Praying Mantis to eat them.  We had a mantis here who sat at
the laundromat door all summer and became huge.  I have never seen one grow to such proportions.  Her diet consisted entirely of Stink bugs.  She had positioned herself in the perfect location too, as the
warm dampness of the laundry drew the Stink bugs in droves.
Well now that we have had some chilly days and nights, those heat
loving bugs are moving indoors.  They flatten between the slats on the blinds.  They hide in the houseplants.  They crawl into the heat vents.  They even hide in the blankets on one's bed.
They have tiny heads in comparison to their larger bodies and I believe they have very mini brains in those wee heads. Although they can fly, they are quite easy to capture.  Most of us keep a small jar partially filled with water with a few drops of Dawn on top handy.
When we spy the bug reposing on the drape we knock it gently into the jar.  OR- if you are careful and do not alarm the dull-witted creature,you can wrap it into a piece of tissue and carry him, without squeezing, to the bathroom and send him for a swim in the whirlpool.
Very seldom have I caused a bug to release his highly obnoxious odor.
Last week as I sat one evening, late at my computer, I was struck on the side  of my head by a small; however. resounding blow.  The assaulting object  slithered across my sweater, down over my lap, and thence to the floor.  That must have scared the bug as much as it did me.  perhaps more, as he doused me in his unique perfume.  It is unlike any other odor I could compare it to.  It clings as long as skunk, though it is a completely different scent. I wheeled rapidly to the bathroom where I pulled off my damaged clothing and grasping my (lovely) scented soap, I scrubbed my upper body and even my hair.  When I thought surely I was clean I exited the bathroom and 
made haste to the bedroom where I donned a clean nightgown.
But wait a minute--I still smelled that horrid "bug spray". Checking around the computer I discovered the hapless villain lying on his back, kicking his legs and probably still exuding his defense mechanism. Using my reacher, I gently picked up the thing and quickly flushed him down the commode. I washed the floor near the computer with Pinesol.  That stuff is strong enough to eliminate most anything.  Yet I continued to be aware of the odor.  Eventually I traced it to the left wheel on my wheelchair.  I must have run over some of the drips, which are colorless.  So I washed the wheel the only way I am able since I am sitting in the seat.  I poured some Pine Sol on the tile floor and ran the chair back and forth through it.
Even after Febreezing the air, when I eventually rolled into bed, I thought I could still smell that clinging odor.  I pulled my fuzzy blanket over my nose.
By morning the apartment was free.  I hope never to be in the way of a bumbling Stink bug again.

Comments

  1. Your description is perfect. Even down to the tiny head/brains. In the summer they're much
    more of an army than now in this part of Virginia but even one can ruin your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schädlinge verursachen viele Schwierigkeiten im Haus, und auch ein Kammerjäger kann die Schädlinge leicht aus der Residenz entfernen, indem er viele umweltfreundliche Produkte verwendet. Ein sehr qualifizierter Kammerjäger kann in kurzer Zeit positive Ergebnisse liefern. Jemand kann auf der Website nach vollständigen Beobachtungen zum Kammerjäger für Ameisen suchen .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols