Christmas Eve 2019

Christmas Eve in Virginia.  So warm outside, even though the sky has turned from mauve to black, that I just too Hannah out while wearing only my Grinch tee shirt.
As I waited for Hannah to finish her business, I looked into the blackness above.  One brilliant star--in the East at that--and no others showing yet.   Of course, being technical, it is not actually a star, but rather a planet.  Still it is so very bright against the very black that it does radiate a sense of awe.
So many Christmas eves in my past.  I even got engaged on one notable Christmas Eve when I was 23.
My "baby" sister (13 plus years my junior) wrote that the thing she recalls best is having to wait to open the gifts until after breakfast and milking done and all the family was gathered in the living room.
However, the stockings hanging on the mantle over the fireplace were fair game as soon as we reached them.  She loved the stocking, maybe more than all the wrapped packages, because there was always a
new horse statue in the toe.
The Christmas eves I have most enjoyed were the ones when my children were young-still believers in
Santa.  We had a ritual of eggnog and reading of The Night Before Christmas.  The children set out cookies and milk for Santa and some carrots for his reindeer. Then the stockings were hung and off to bed.  Then I played Santa, bringing forth all the goodies which were hidden in closets and cupboards .
I had to make four piles, counting out the pieces of mini Hershey bars and Christmas candies.  Each
stocking had to have the exact same amount for I knew they kids would count  to make certain everyone
got the same.  They loved the dried apricots-called them "ears".  The toes always contained a new
toy car for the boys and tiny dolls or trinkets  for the girls.  Their father took care of eating the cookies and quite often I went to the barn and let the goats chew on the carrots enough to make it look as though Santa had for sure given the reindeer a moment to have a snack too.
Christmas to a Mother is the wonder and joy in her child's eyes.  
Now I am old.  Even my grandchildren are adults.  They are far away so I do not know how they are spending Christmas Eve.  My oldest grandchild, Seanna , now in her 30s , used to spend the school holidays after Christmas with me.  Such fun we had.  I have two great grandsons, 11 and 7, who may be doubting the existence of flying reindeer this year.  
However, my daughter who lives about an hour away is heading here right now, car loaded with the supper she has prepared.  She plans to take me out to see the lights around town after we eat.  She won't stay overnight.  She will be back tomorrow for the dinner I am preparing and to open our gifts.
Here in Joseph's Dream it seems very sad. Only 4 of the 48 current residents have any festive lights at all.
I am so blessed to have Terry near and willing and actually happy to be with me.  So many are alone.
Tradition most dear to me as a child:
Going into the barn at midnight (or at least well after dark) to see if the cows were kneeling.  Many of them were!  Of course a cow gets up back end first so when they heard us coming they began to rise from their sleep.  But we always believed they were "seeing" baby Jesus in the manger. 
I have hung a stocking for Hannah and one for Susie.   And there will be one for my 58 year old daughter! 
Where ever you are and whatever your belief, I hope you all find the peace this night offers.
If you have many Christmas Eves behind you, I hope they return tonight as "warm fuzzy" memories.
Merry Christmas.
From Hannah, Susie, Ginger and me.

Comments

  1. Christmas blessings to you Cynthia. Thank you for brightening this past year with your wonderful writing, sharing a truly blessed life. I had two wonderful messages from Spirit on Christmas Day. I have pygmy cotton tail bunnies in my back yard which borders a lovely park. A great, safe place for them and lots to eat until the snow gets deep and then I supplement for them. They are wild. I hadn't seen a single one for maybe a week and was getting a bit sad, missing them. Then Christmas morning with my daughter and grandchildren here to witness was my favorite little guy right in the middle of the lawn munching away and letting me know he was here. Later in the day I was at my computer. My printer is to my right and a bit behind me. My hands were on the keyboard and I was fully occupied writing an email. Out of the blue my printer turned on all by itself. I knew my husband had come to say that he was with us in Spirit and loving us from Heaven. I just sat and cried. I miss him so much but was so happy for his presence, as were my daughter and grandchildren. Have a wonderful rest of your holiday and know that you are very much appreciated. With love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Christmas gifts to you from nature and the Beyond!
      I have never heard of pygmy cotton tail bunnies. Will look them up.
      Continued blessings to you and yours in 2020.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas! Just wanted you to know I have been enjoying your blog since you started it. I heard you on Jon's radio show! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter Terry and I did share a very delightful Christmas. I hope you did too.
      Thank you for your note. May 2020 bring you only good things.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, and wishing the same for you in the new year!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols