Thanksgiving -then and now

First of all- for you Ginger fans:  She is still here and very much enjoying her warm house these chilly nights.  I have attended several meetings the past two weeks and though many issues were brought up, no one has mentioned Ginger.  Something to be thankful for.

Now -thinking about the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, I have to admit it does not mean much to me anymore.  Mother of four, I used to go all out  when they were young.  I made several kinds of pies  (my own crusts too!), yeast rolls-two types, homemade stuffing for the 24 pound bird.  (Got up around 3 am to stuff him and put in the oven), all the homegrown vegetables, stuffed celery,
cranberry sauce (not from a can).  On most occasions one set of Grandparents attended, so the special china was used and table decorated.  We dressed for dinner, the children, scrubbed hands and faces in their church clothes, and me, tearing off my apron at the last minute as the turkey was placed on the table.  
Now I am 85.  Only one child near and at first she thought she had to work this Thanksgiving.  She just found out she will be off and so
she will be here at my apartment.  We are doing a mini version of the old time meal for the two of us and though she is making several things the old-fashioned way, I took the easy way out.  Frozen veggies that can be microwaved, ready to bake rolls, and Schwan's apple pie and ice cream. Our "bird" will be a rotisserie chicken from the market.
No gizzard and heart to be boiled up for the cats and dog. (though I expect there will be bits and pieces of chicken for Hannah, Sue & Ginger.)
The owner of Joseph's Dream announced that he was ordering a 
catered luncheon for Joseph's Dream residents.  It will be held on Tuesday of this coming week.  I was late signing up but Manager Kathryn said she would put my name down if I would bring desserts.  She said Joseph was not  ordering desserts.  Who ever heard of Thanksgiving dinner without dessert?  So yesterday my
friend Sherry picked up the two pies and a box of mini cream puffs which I ordered from Kroger market when she did her shopping.
They await the Tuesday luncheon in my refrigerator.  I do hope others have been charged with bringing dessert as I heard there are 36 signed up.
 The other night on TV an author/historian was talking about his book on Thanksgiving.  Having done a great deal of research he concluded that our version of Thanksgiving is completely incorrect.
No jolly Indians, no prim Pilgrims--nothing like the plays put on by the grade school children.  Even the date is wrong.  I found this rather sad, although I am sure he is correct.  After all he did a great deal of research.  Not going into details --his last name is Silverstein
and you can read his version of Thanksgiving in his book.  (Sorry but I did not write down the title but it did have "Thanksgiving" in it so I am sure it can be found -Amazon anyway). 
So here it is--2019.  I am 85 years old. My children are all over 50.
My grandchildren too, are young adults with lives of their own and my two great grandsons  only know me from a picture and the occasional gifts and cards.
I am thankful to have daughter, Terry, close enough to be here.  Many in this community do  not have that.
I am thankful to have the wonderful memories of Thanksgiving when they were all little.  The laughter, the smells of good food, the Thanksgiving Day parade with Santa making an appearance at the end and the children's delight in watching it on TV. The paper Pilgrims decorating the table made in school and brought proudly home to have places of honor. Taking special treats to the barn for the horses and goats and hens and the many barn kitties.
Though the passing of the years has brought so many changes, Thanksgiving will always be a time to be thankful. 

Truthfully, though, what I now look forward to the most is the
National Dog show on TV.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols