Thanksgiving at JD

The Thanksgiving luncheon held on the Tuesday prior to the holiday and catered by the Station Restaurant in Bedford was just as I predicted--turkey roll slices, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and tiny rather soggy rolls.  Catered was a term used a bit loosely as Robert had to go and pick the order up and return unused/uneaten items after the meal was over.  It was all just okay, but I did really like the green beans.  A surprise, as I am not generally a fan of green beans.  These had tiny bits of onion and ham in them and that made them very tasty.  In fact I liked them so much that I tried to imitate them for the dinner Terry and I shared on actual Thanksgiving Day.  
One resident brought corn and some good dinner rolls.  Quite a few brought desserts and there were some delicious puddings.  Fried apple pies-a marvellous Southern idea, were made by one of the male residents who has a reputation as a darn good cook. The tables
were decorated with  paper turkey centerpieces.  Before the meal
Pastor Larry Ross and his wife Janet sang as Larry played the guitar.  Afterward he offered grace and then all lined up to fill their plates.  
It was a nice affair and many residents were there that are not usually  in attendance at any of the events.
Manager Kathryn and Maintenance manager Robert filled plates
and carried them to those who could not attend due to illness or
incapacity.
On actual Thanksgiving Day my daughter Terry came bringing many dishes she had prepared at home.  I had chicken quarters in a roasting pan, the copy-cat green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls and
sweet potatoes made special with maple syrup from "back home in Vermont" (brought to me by sister Patty on one of her visits back up North.) 
Of course Hannah, Susie and Ginger were hopefully awaiting a treat.
I don't as a rule give human food to my pets; however, I made an exception.  I put a small amount of chicken in each of Hannah and Susie's bowls.  Susie almost took my fingers off as I placed the bites in her dish.  Hannah waited politely, watching anxiously as I mixed her bites of chicken in with her kibble.
Ginger looked at the chicken in her dish.  She sniffed it and walked away!  Silly me--I should have known that being a feral cat, Ginger would prefer her meat raw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols