Halloween 2019

Halloween is not what it used to be when I was a child-or even what it was when my children were trick or treaters.  But then what is?  
I remember taking my children out around our neighborhood in costumes mostly home made.  We never worried that some candy might contain harmful things.  We knew about everyone who came to their door bearing a basket of treats.  A few times when I was a preteen and we were out in a group with no parents along,
there was one lady who had hot cocoa waiting on her porch for us,
and a man who had his grill going with hot dogs.  The costumes were a big part of the fun, even for teens.  Only the very young ones seem to dress up any more.  
Now home owners as well as children are afraid on Halloween--not of ghosts or goblins but of other humans.
But I had my own fun this Halloween.  It was not planned.
We had been enduring heavy downpour all day and as the rain began to let up, strong winds came through.  By 11:00pm, when
I slipped out the door with my dog for her last pee trip of the day,
the wind was whipping through, pushing rolls of dry leaves down the parking lot like thundering waves onto the beach.  The air which had been very warm and humid was turning sharply crisp
and cold.  It nearly took my breath away. It was very dark- heavy clouds obscuring any moon.  A real old-fashioned Halloween night.  I was clad in my skimpy nightgown, bare feet paddling the wheelchair.  Only going to be outside for a moment.
Suddenly a flash of gray flew between my wheels, a ball of fur with high blown tail, visible only when in motion or when the glowing yellow eyes turned my way.  My cat, Susie, had escaped.
I hastily returned Hannah to her crate, propped open the storm and inner doors, grabbed my short handle broom and the treat bag and wheeled back outside calling "Treats. treats" in my
raspy old lady voice.  Susie raced like a spirit herself chasing the crackling brown leaves.  Up and down the parking lot we flew, she far ahead of me as I followed, hair blowing out behind me, waving the witch-like broom and calling "ooooh   no   Susie--treats".
Finally Susie stopped and began chewing a blade of grass.  Slowly
I crept up beside her.  Reaching down I petted her back.  Then I made a quick grab for her collar.  Sue was quicker.  Like a fish in the current, she slipped away from my grasp.
About as cold as one can get now I returned to the interior of my apartment.  I propped open the storm door and pulled back to the wall the heavy inner door.  Then I sat back from the door and waited.  About 1:00 am, Susie decided she had had enough fun.
She came waltzing in, going directly to her food bowl.  Cautiously I wheeled to the door and slowly shut it.
I wonder if anyone was up and watching out their window.  What a tale they would tell about the witch flying through the Joseph's Dream parking lot at midnight on Halloween.
 
 

Comments

  1. Cynthia, You are indeed a remarkable woman. I wish I lived close enough to drop by for a quick visit. What stories for my grandchildren. And they would appreciate you as much a I do. Well done.
    Never give up the spark!!!!!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols