The Lost Dog

My neighbor woke me early this morning, rapping on my door in a manner that said it was urgent.  Ordinarily I would have been up by then but had not gone to bed until 1:00AM, so was sleeping in.
Well trying to!
When I opened the door she had a dog with her.  He was a tri-color male -apparently Border Collie & possible Aussie mix.
He stood by her quietly and looked up at me with large brown trusting eyes.  His coat, which should have been lush and luxurious was so matted that dreadlocks were hanging from his belly, ears and ruff.   He came in.  Hannah was beside herself with excitement.  They did the dog sniff greeting from nose to tail and decided they were friends.  I put Hannah back in her crate while I offered the dog a cup of kibble and some water, all
of which he made short work of.  Then I tried out a couple of commands -Come, Sit, Down--he did the first two-seemed unsure about the down- and despite his hunger, he accepted  a Milkbone biscuit very gently from my hand.
Then I did a surface exam, feeling through his coat (full of sandy grit) but no evidence of fleas or ticks though the coat was so dense and matted it was difficult to be certain.  Eyes clear,
ears clean inside, nails short, some tartar on teeth and from which I determined him to be 4-5 years old, quite thin which had not been obvious due to his coat.  Through all of this he stood quietly, even slowly wagging his bushy tail and allowing me to handle his feet and open his mouth.
Such a nice dog!
By now his presence was stirring some interest among the neighbors.  One woman practically demanded I give him to her for her daughter.  Another young man with bright pink bushy hair and funky clothing who was visiting a resident, came over and said he would take the dog back to North Carolina.  I just bet he would!  Bait dogs bring a nice chunk of money in certain places.
I told them all I was about to call the animal control and let them deal with the dog in the proper manner.  This was Sunday morning and perhaps the animal control officer was not available.  I could not believe how quickly a police officer arrived.  He obviously was a "dog person".  We talked about the dog a few minutes and he agreed that this one would be readily adoptable if the owner did not claim him.  He said he would take the dog to the local animal shelter where he would be checked for a chip and cared for.  The officer led the willing dog to his cruiser where he gave him a boost into the back seat.
While he returned my leash to me, the dog sat quietly watching us.
A couple of people are very angry with me for "sending the dog to be killed".  I tried to assure them this was the best thing for the dog as he would be cleaned, chipped, vaccinated, heartworm checked and neutered.  Then if they still wanted him it would be the best thing for them too--getting a dog who was ready for his forever home.  
Some people understood---and some didn't.
I know if I did not have Hannah I would take that dog in a minute.  Somewhere in his youth he has had a good home.
If his owner should return to get him I hope the shelter staff advise him (or her) on how to properly care for the dog. 
I have worked in shelters for many years.  We were not there to dispose of dogs (or cats).  We spent time with each newcomer to
determine where he/she would fit in.  My co-worker and friend, Harry, and I both adopted dogs and cats from the shelter where we worked.  It was very hard when we had to euthanize any animal.  I, personally, adopted the attitude that it was far better to end the animal's life than to let them live on the streets where they might be injured or starved or turn aggressive.  When we had to end a life, he and I took turns being the one to comfort and hold the dog or cat or the one to administer the needle.  Not one was ever handled roughly.  For a few, the time in the shelter
and the moment of departure may have been the only affection they were  ever to know.
The very best thing one can do if you find a free-roaming dog ,
is to turn it over to the human society.   
If you own a dog or cat, be sure to have it chipped and to register that chip.  That will get him back home.

Comments

  1. Bless you, Cynthia, for the thoughtful, balanced and loving way you handled this situation. Surely this beautiful animal will find an appropriate and loving home. I have found and kept more than a few abandoned animals and taken more to the Humane Society where I was sure they were well cared for. The most rewarding times were those when the shelter called me back to say they found the owner and they were enthusiastically reunited with their lost pet. I even received a thank you note once from the owner of two dogs I scooped up that were running along the highway obviously confused about the situation they had gotten themselves into. The owner was not irresponsible, it was just one of those things where a gate had been left open and the dogs took advantage of the opportunity. It is such a blessing to have the shelters available for all the services that some of these animals need that would be very costly for most of us to provide. I am sure the dog your neighbor brought to you will be looking and feeling so very much better in no time. Really good story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a note if I hear from the shelter. Thank you for telling your stories.

      Delete
  2. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via (Morrisanonymouscards@gmail.com)

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Morrisanonymouscards@gmail.com}

    Visit our Website for more Info: Morrisanonymouscards@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN, CHECK OUT THE BLANK ATM CARD IN LESS THAN 24hours {oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com}


    I want to testify about OSCAR WHITE blank ATM cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no hope then I saw so many testimony about how OSCAR WHITE send them the blank ATM card and i use it to collect money in any ATM machine and become rich. I also email him and he sent me the blank card. I have use it to get $100,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of $5,000 daily.OSCAR WHITE is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault with the use of ATM Programmed Card which runs in automatic mode. email Him on how to get it now via: oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com or whats-app +1(323)-362-2310

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols