Lion or Lamb

Today was March 1st.  An old saying goes " In like a lion, out like a lamb".  Well it was the reverse here as it was a beautiful Spring day.
Trees are  budding, flowers peeking out from beneath their winter mulch-little purple and yellow crocus, bright narcissus, and one tiny
grape hyacinth. Those rugged, persistent dandelions  have a few 
yellow blooms appearing on the lawn which had a light dusting of snow two days ago.  
So in like a lamb it was.  Does that mean we are to watch out as March races towards a lion ending?
I really enjoy these old sayings.  Like the one about the cat washing over her ear. The cat, as she sits diligently washing her face, raises her leg high and draws her tongue-dampened paw over her ear laying it flat for a moment.  A sign of rain in the near future.
I always watch when either Susie or Ginger is grooming.  Truthfully,
I think a good clean kitty is always going to clean the backside of her ears no matter what the weather has in store.  If I did not water the garden every time the cat said rain was coming, I'd likely have neither flower nor vegetable.
Another favorite is the verse:  One crow- sorrow, two crows- joy,
Three crows- a letter, four crows- boy. Five crows-silver, six crows-gold.  Seven crows-a secret never to be told.  I say it many times as I watch crows.  I have often seen five or six crows together, they always seem to be in groups.  Yet I have never found the silver or gold they told me I was about to  receive.
My Grandmother had a great store of the old sayings.  I wish I recalled them all.  Along with the "old wives tales",which I may deal with another time,  they are such fun.   
So Welcome March.  Your gusty winds, your warmer sunshine.
If you must bring us one more taste of winter with a final lion roar,
we will not be distressed for we know April and the Spring showers are not far away. 
One more thing March is bringing--next weekend--at least here on the East coast, Daylight Savings time. Lose an hour of sleep as you push your clocks ahead an hour Saturday night.
" Spring forward.  Fall back".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols