One tough old pussycat

For those of you following the saga of Ginger--there has been added one more challenge to her that she seems to be overcoming.  
Three days ago Ginger came dashing inside when I opened the door at dusk to take Hannah out.  Blood was trickling down her side from what appeared at first glance to be a wound just over her hip.  She was not limping and she ate.  When I tried to examine the wound, she became the fierce feral and attempted to bite me.  No amount of cajoling and treats coaxed her into letting me touch the injury.  So I had to let her back out.  She slept in her little house, coming out next morning, yawning and stretching--still no limp.  The bleeding had ceased .  The hair
surrounding the wound had been pulled out from her own efforts at cleaning the area.  I could see that a big scab had formed.  
Ginger loves the dog's canned food.  (She won't touch canned cat food!)  If I feed Hannah when Ginger is in the apartment ,
that cat will push Hannah out of the way to get the food.
So I placed a  big scoop of Hannah's food on a paper plate
and offered it to Ginger.  She dove right in, thoroughly enjoying
the unexpected treat.  While she was distracted I managed to 
rub some antibiotic ointment onto the scab.  The region around the scab was very swollen.  I was concerned that an abscess might be forming; however, there was no way she would let me
remove the scab to allow the opening to drain.   After licking the plate and washing her face and whiskers she demanded to be allowed back outdoors.
She was gone all day.  In the evening she once again returned for supper.  Now she had ripped all the hair from a spot opposite the large wound high on her other hip.  Producing the canned dog food once again kept her attention so that I could examine the new spot.  There was a small round hole with a tiny
scab covering it.  
Several years ago I treated a cat who had been shot with a BB gun.  This looked very similar, so I believe Ginger's injury was caused by a pellet from an air rifle.  The small hole was the entry and the larger, slightly lower on her body, the exit.
Well good--no bb left inside!  The swelling had gone down, no longer hard-just some soft puffiness around the larger wound.
I was able to apply more antibiotic to both areas.   She may be
licking the ointment off as soon as she is out of sight, yet I think
she may be getting some good from it as she swallows it.
Ideally I would have opened the wounds and kept them open allowing them to drain and heal from inside out.  With Ginger,
this would not be possible without sedating her which I did not opt to do every day.  She is old after all--11 or 12.
Today the scabs are still in place.  No swelling.  She ate a big breakfast, sat in the sun to bathe, and strolled off to the woods.
I think she is going to be fine.
I would like to know who shot her.  A resident here said she heard something that sounded like a small gun one afternoon
so maybe some kids from the housing  below us were "target"
shooting.  Hitting Ginger may or may not have been intentional. 
But Ginger is doing  well.  One tough old pussycat--It would appear she has not used up all nine lives yet.
 

Comments

  1. I use basically superior fabrics : you will discover these products by: senna gammour tour

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols