My Valentine

Many Valentines have found their way to me on February 14th through the many Valentine Days I have been around to witness.
In grade school our teachers placed cardboard boxes beautifully decorated with red hearts and doily lace on their desks.  I remember
Mother purchasing the right number ( in those days we sent a valentine to everyone in the class) of little valentines with cute baby animals or cartoon characters.  We carefully wrote on the backs To  "Marcia"  From  Cynthia.   Everyone in the class went home with the same number of cards and a red heart-shaped lollipop from the teacher.  I used to play with my cards on my bed
that night.  When my little sister  began school, we would compare
cards.  It was exciting and so much fun. 
As I grew older Valentine's Day became more a day of hope and
concern.  In Junior High valentines were only given to special
friends and perhaps one even dared to send one to a boy.  Now the cards were in envelopes, making the suspense even greater.  And if a girl had a crush on a certain boy, how she hoped she might find one from him--even if he had not signed his name or wrote
"from a secret admirer".
In High School we were too old for those childish games.  A boy who liked a certain girl (and everyone knew about it) might give her
a heart shaped box of candy (usually chocolate) and that girl was the envy of her female classmates.
My husband always placed a box of chocolates on the kitchen table
Sometimes it was accompanied by a pretty card. He always helped
with emptying the box of candy too.  One year he brought me a
little flowering plant in a pretty pot.  Attached was a tiny card picturing a bright little skunk holding a red heart and bearing the message "I'm a little stinker".  We had been going through a time of disagreements.  This gift worked just as he had hoped and melted my heart.  All forgiven, I was his valentine.
Then one year I was pregnant with my second child.  My little son was 14 months old.  My baby was expected to arrive on February 16th, but I knew, right from the start that this was to be a girl born on Valentine's Day.  Naturally everyone laughed at me. But I made
and tucked away in the little chest, pink sweaters and tiny gowns
edged with dainty lace.  I chose the name Theresa, for I loved the story of St. Teresa.  It was also my mother-in-law's middle name so she always thought I named the baby for her and I never told her otherwise.  Her middle name, Elaine, was chosen by her father--
just a name he especially liked.
My husband was away most of the week as he had an "on the road"
job.  February 14th, 1961, arrived.  He was away.  I went to the barn and cared for the two horses, one mine and the other one I took care of in exchange for stall space.  Our apartment was up a flight of stairs  over a garage.  By the time I had carried my little boy, down and back and cleaned those stalls, I was aware that this might indeed be the day of the "unveiling".  I placed a call to my husband's company and they promised to get a message to him asap.  (Before cell phones).  I decided I would not go to the hospital until he got home to take me.  My firstborn had taken a long time to make his appearance.  So I thought I had time.  Theresa, it seems, was in a hurry.  My friend came and took my little boy to her house.  I paced the floor, listening anxiously for the sound of Jack's car.  When he pulled into the yard, I grabbed my small suitcase and flew down the steps.  We did make it to the hospital in time.  At 2:30 in the afternoon, my very special valentine arrived.
Yesterday that valentine turned 59.  She is a beautiful, caring, talented woman.  She came to my apartment for her birthday dinner.  It was HER birthday but she brought me roses, some heart-shaped tarts she had made and a big red heart-shaped box of chocolates.  Earlier in the week she had stopped by and placed a card in my bedroom with instructions to open it first thing in the morning on Valentine's Day.  I did.  It was a lovely card, pink flowers and wee sparkles - with sentiment to warm her Mother's heart.
 Many valentines have come to me throughout my many years.
Many are sweet memories.  A few are saved in scrapbooks.  
Theresa Elaine is my favorite and forever valentine.
How blessed have I been to have this valentine, not just for one day, but to cherish for 59 years.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols