More of Grandpa

Not sure just how old I was-probably around 8 when, after the incident at the wharf when my sister fell in, Grandpa decided it was time I learned to swim.  With the water wings firmly attached, I stepped into the shallow water near the shore.  Then under Grandpa's direction, I waded out to about waist deep.  Grandpa was right beside me.  He placed his hand beneath my tummy and told me to lie down on the water.  Then as he held me and walked along next to me, he told me to kick my feet and make my cupped hands go back and forth like a dog trotting.  After a few sessions he quietly slipped his hand from under me.  Of course the water wings held me up.  I stopped splashing, but Grandpa said I must keep going because one day I might not have the wings on. I became so adept at the dog paddle that I would venture into the lake alone and paddle around.  (Always with the wings, and never in depth over my head.)
When I taught my children to swim, I taught them to float first.  I don't ever recall being taught to float.  That was something I discovered on my own when I was older.
Anyway--One afternoon Grandpa said we would just go out for a ride around the lake.  When we were out in deep water--over even Grandpa's head- he told me to jump in.  I did not have my wings on.
"Wait-I need to get my wings", I told him.  "Don't need them anymore",
he replied.  Before i could respond, he lifted me up and gently tossed me in the lake.  I screamed, went under a bit, tried to grab the boat. Grandpa rowed the boat just out of my reach.  I splashed with my hands, smacking the water, my feel dangling unmoving below me.
"I see a big crab coming after your toe" Grandpa commented.
Well guess what!  I remembered how to dog paddle.  I turned onto my
 belly,  began kicking my feet and cupping my hands, I scooped water as fast as I could.  I reached the boat in short order.  Grandpa lifted me out of the water and handed me a towel.  I could swim!
I was teased plenty by my family when they heard  about the crab story.
Some folks think this was a terrible way to teach a child to swim.
The truth is that I knew how to swim.  What Grandpa taught me was
to believe in myself and not be afraid to step forth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols