Determining intelligence

The American Indians had it correct.  They communed with the animals.  Perhaps because they lived so much closer to nature than the vast majority of people today they were better able to feel the
common thread of  understanding between human and animal.
The more researchers uncover about behavior, not only in mammals, but fish, birds and even insects, we are coming to acknowledge the
amazing intelligence they  possess.  
Intelligence is a word difficult to define as there are so many ways to identify or "prove" it's existence.  A creature who has the ability to use tools--and there are thousands of those including the insect population, creatures who can learn from others, communication--the list goes on.  People tend to say about the Border collie who has learned some amazing tricks that he is a very smart dog.  Is that what intelligence is?
It is hard, at least for me, to differentiate between intelligence and inherited response.  When a creature very different from me appears to be trying to communicate or at the very least, to read my intention by looking right into my eyes, I have to call that intelligence.  For example, there was a Praying mantis sitting on the handlebar of my scooter.  I sat down on the seat and the little chap looked right at my face, tipping his head slightly as if to say, "Just who or what are you?"
How can one so small even know what the eyes are on something which must appear so enormous to him?
That is something a "smart"dog might do.  This was a creature the size of my finger.
I hate to kill anything--but I do sometimes.  Outside spiders are wonderful.  They can weave the beautiful and very useful webs so quickly.  Inside--I am sad to admit, I do kill them.  I always apologize
and tell the corpse that I am sorry and if he had only stayed outside where he belonged it would not have come to this.  I was bitten by a Recluse spider who was hiding in my bath towel a couple of years ago--a most unpleasant experience, so perhaps I have slain harmless victims from foolish fear.  My son who has a connection with all living things, had noted a Black widow spider living in the corner of his garage.  He let her live there undisturbed.  Finally he saw that her web was becoming much too large so he was trying to reduce the area while not disturbing the spider's primary web.  She took offense, leapt from her web and bit him.   He was extremely ill-could have died.
Perhaps he is not quite as comfortable with spiders now.
But even spiders do sometimes seem to attempt to make eye contact.
There was a Parson spider in my kitchen.  They are fairly good size and move very rapidly.  They do not make webs.  They are predators-hunting small insects.   As I approached the one who had moved into my apartment he stopped and looked right up at me.  How could I kill such a one?  Did he somehow sense that making contact with me would spare his life?  Hard to believe; however, in this case it did. 
People have found they can play with and even train sea animals.  Dolphins, whales---but wait--those are mammals, so of course we can and do feel a connection with them.  What about an octopus?  Here is a chap who appears to be only a large head with arms. ( Where is the rest of the octopus?)   Once again my son-- he was scuba diving when a large octopus drifted out of his cave.  The octopus initiated a sort of game between the human and himself.  Obviously enjoying it and displaying what we refer to as intelligence.  
Is interaction between different species a level of intelligence?
Or as we learn and understand more about the incredible variety and number of fellow earth dwellers who share our planet, do we need a different word?
 

Comments

  1. I say we need a different understanding of this world. IMO we don't deserve another
    one until we learn tolerance, appreciation and respect. The qualities you speak of here.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols