Grandpa's lessons

Grandpa Smith enjoyed fishing.  He had a small aluminum rowboat which had an outboard motor that he could lift easily on and off the boat.  He kept the engine in the basement of the camp-never left it on the boat unless he was right there with it.  I did not know much, if anything, about horsepower back then.  Now, recalling the ease with which Grandpa carried that motor, I think it must not have been a very
powerful one. However, it scooted that little boat across the water, leaving a tiny wake and delighting me with spray in my face.
 Grandpa would load his fishing pole, tackle box and a red can of gasoline into the boat, which was tied to the wharf.  Then he would bring  out the motor and place it on the back of the boat.    He attached some hoses from can to motor.  Lifting me under the arms, he set me onto a wooden crossboard seat in the middle of the boat. (Yes-I had my life jacket on). He sat in back, yanked on the cord which brought the little motor spluttering to life.  As we headed out into the lake he taught me a song which we sang together with gusto. 

"My Bonny leaned over the gas tank, the depth of the fluid to see.
She lit up a match to see better.  Oh bring back my Bonny to me."

What Grandparent would teach such a song to a 10 year old!  But I understood the moral of the story even then.  Seventy five years later
I remember that song.  
I have had much larger boats in my lifetime.  You can bet I was very careful about the fuel.  Even with our cabin cruiser, I always vented the bilge before hitting the start button.
I have witnessed a couple of boats catching fire, even one blowing up at the dock on Lake George when someone got careless or just plain had not had a good teacher.
Thank you Grandpa.

Comments

  1. My paternal grandfather was about as Scottish as it gets. Second generation. His home was all about Scotland. We had our own clan shield and our own clan plaid. We had kilts made in that plaid and were taught to appreciate the bagpipes that hung on the wall. And we all sang the songs that always referred to "Bonny" something. Although this song your grandpa taught you was not in our repertoire it sure did bring back some memories. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am of part Scottish ancestry too. My "ancestral name" is Mac Tavish.
      What is yours?

      Delete
  2. My earliest memory is of my father and grandfather soaking wood in our bathtub
    for bending and making a small boat. Safe behavior was always drilled into us with
    stern words, humor and any other means they had. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MacBain, and what a beautiful name that is. My great grandfather change it to MacBean to Americanize it. Can you even imagine? I wanted to be a MacBain. I married a Norwegian and now have the name Olstad and I was happy to acquire that. I love the name MacTavish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols