Luncheon guests

 Friday three friends ,who used to be at Joseph's Dream and left some time ago, came with take-out lunches to my apartment.  Seating four people at my wee table is pretty much an impossibility.  So two gals sat on my new couch, the third on one side of my table and I sat opposite her in my wheelchair.  That meant two had their meal trays in their laps, very accessible to one red dog, despite his short legs.  That nose, immediately followed by a soft pink tongue, has amazing reach.

I was concerned.  Needn't have been.  Edgar was the perfect gentleman.  He greeted the ladies, one by one, as they entered the apartment, checking their shoes to see if they had been anywhere near another dog or one of those enticing pussy cats.  Then without any signal from me, he went to his bed and stayed there while the aroma of fried catfish and french fries assaulted his nostrils.  What a good dog!  He behaved as though he had spent the entire 8 1/2 years of his life in  training as a service dog.  Of course Susie was hiding in the bedroom closet so provided Edgar with no chance to demonstrate his other self.

I have not been able to use the shock collar yet.  Without an instruction manual I am at a loss.  My daughter, who has successfully used one on two dogs, tried to talk me through it on the phone.  However, they are quite different  models, so she had to give up.  She gave me the info as to where she acquired her, much simpler , model so I just ordered that one.  Should be here in a couple of days.  I had a good report/ recommendation for the use of these collars from a tender-hearted lady this morning.  Once I learn to use one correctly, I should not feel guilty.  Edgar is not letting up on "attack cat"  mode either, so it has become obvious that time will not solve anything.  Last evening Susie was curled up on my pillow.  Edgar strode into the bedroom, rested his chin on the edge of the bed, glowing eyes fixed on Susie, and growled loud enough to rattle the picture frames on my dresser.  Rattled Susie considerably too.  I intervened before things went further.  (That is, I yanked Edgar by his harness backwards out the door.)  So the sooner the better for the training collar, and I sure hope it works.   Edgar has earned one bit of freedom though.  His over-all manners when people come in has been  excellent.  His barking at the window has nearly ceased, and if he does bark, he turns and looks at me.  I give the "quiet" sign.  He goes to his bed and no more bark.  He has learned the "come" signal well and is quick to respond.  So today he is graduating from the 6 foot leash he has been trailing around behind him to a 2 foot training leash.  This will not get tangled around a table leg, yet will still give me that bit of extra handle should I need to catch hold of him.  I have used one before with my Border Collie and found it worked very well.

I guess I will give Edgar a "B" on his report card today.  Cannot wait to report an "A+".

My daughter said last night, "Imagine what you could do with this dog if he could hear."  And I am  thinking, "Imagine what I will do with this dog".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols