On angel's wings

Sylvia and I had talked many times about dying, making plans to leave instructions and things in order for our children.  These were not morbid conversations.   They were just us, sharing our thoughts on how to make our leaving when the time
was up, easier for those left behind.
Sylvia flew way on angel's wings yesterday about noon.  It went
exactly as she had planned.  Her daughter, Shari, the closest to her of the six children, visited for an hour that morning.  Then as Shari was driving home, only a few minutes after leaving Sylvia's bedside, her cell phone rang.  The nurse told Shari that
her mother had just died.  Just exactly as Sylvia wished--to say
goodbye and die quietly alone.  Neither of us wanted our family
to see the end.  We hoped for the chance to tell them we love them--to say "goodbye for now."  Seems it has all worked out for Sylvia just as she planned. 
The tears that trickle down my cheeks are not for Sylvia, they
are for myself.  For how much I will miss her--coming in early
many mornings carrying her tiny cup of expresso and donuts.
I will miss our chats.  Hannah began looking over at Sylvia's porch yesterday every time we went out.  She was wondering
when the  door would open to reveal the walker supporting
that woman who made her person (me) laugh.  Ginger went to
Sylvia's apartment door last evening yowling in true feral cat fashion--hoping for the hand that tossed her Temptation treats.
Sylvia was one of Ginger's main supporters, who was a major factor in attaining Ginger's right to remain free in Joseph's Dream.  Sylvia has an outdoor recliner on her porch that has been Ginger's bed every night since her cabin on my porch has become too stuffy for the hot nights.
Sylvia's daughter told me she would be here monday to begin
emptying the apartment.  Before next month has passed, a new
resident will be moving in.  
But I will always see only Sylvia when I look over there.
I know Sylvia is happy now where ever the angel may have 
carried her to.  I hope she has found her son, Sammy, who died at 16 years old from Leukemia.  Her heart never stopped aching for him.
Well, Sylvia, Congratulations!  Once again you have beaten me to the punch, for now you have the answers to our questions
before I do.
Well done.

Photo: Shari's wedding.  Sylvia 2nd from left.  A very happy day .

Comments

  1. So sorry for your sadness today.....Sylvia was a wonderful friend. Between tears I hope you are smiling at wonderful memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words for such a wonderful woman. Friendship is life's treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And friendships never die as long as they live in your memory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols