strange Easter

This will be a strange Easter.  For years my daughter Meg  has organized an Easter egg hunt for her children and the neighbor-
hood kids.  They live in the country so there are many good places to hide the plastic eggs filled with treats or tiny toys.  When her own children were grown, she continued the tradition for her two  grandsons and friends.  This year there will be no egg hunts anywhere.
When I was young, Easter morning included church.  My sisters and I had new dresses , and more importantly, new hats.  We wore hats in church every Sunday; however, Easter brought us out wearing  new summer hats--straw with little flowers and ribbon.  There will likely be no Easter parade this year in any US town or city.  
Many churches have worked hard to set up services on UTube and other sites as well as on traditional TV.  I wonder if others,
as well as their usual members, will watch these programs. I wonder if this virus will bring more people to church or perhaps
send them away.  
Still, in my great old age, I will be coloring eggs Saturday night.
I have a half dozen white eggs waiting to be boiled.  Since I could not get out to find Easter candy to fill a basket for my
daughter who lives near me (too old for a basket-not.) I uncovered the recipe my Mother had for making potato fudge
Easter eggs.  Our baskets always had a lovely big decorated egg
in the center. She made them in different flavors, my favorite being the cherry ones.  So I will make some for my daughter, Terry's basket and a few to give (leave at their door) to my
neighbor friends. 
Isolated, we can still dress up if we wish.  We can set out our toy bunnies and lambs on the dresser top.  We can share a church service with strangers  via technology.  We can make and eat
Easter goodies.  We can hear the birds singing if we open a window and maybe even spot a Daffodil  smiling through the April rain, nodding in the breeze.
It will be a different, even strange, Easter this year.  It need not be sad.  We have telephones to hear the voices of family and friends.  We have memories of Easter baskets when we were small--and watching the joy on our own little ones faces on Easter morning as they discovered the once a year treats.
Have a lovely, peaceful Easter everyone.

And here is Mother's recipe:

 Potato fudge for Easter eggs
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla or cherry juice or almond  flavor
4 cups flaked coconut
1/4 tsp salt
4 squares chocolate (baking)
3/4 cups mashed potatoes
chopped maraschino or dried cherries and /or nuts may be added

 Combine potato and sugar.  
Add coconut, flavoring and salt- blend
Add fruit if desired.

To make the chocolate covering: 
Melt the chocolate and add 2 TBsp granulated sugar and
2 tsp canning wax.  Stir til smooth.
(I do not have canning wax so I may just melt some chocolate bars. )
Shape the eggs any size you desire.  Let them dry an hour or so on waxed paper.  Then dip them in chocolate and refrigerate.
You can decorate them with frosting flowers or the peel and
stick candy birthday cake decorations , sprinkles or???
When finished and firm, wrap in  Glad press and seal (or similar).

 Happy Easter.  Happy Memories.  Warm wishes from
               Cynthia, Hannah & Susie

Comments

  1. Oh my, new Easter hats, new white gloves and the egg hunt at grandma's.
    Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols