For a cat

Everything is so quiet here. You would think all 50 residents of this community had moved away. EVeryone is taking the stay home and social distancing seriously. 
We had a bit of excitement yesterday morning tho. I was leisurely taking my shower when there was knocking on my door and excited voices calling my name. I responded that I was naked-just leaving the shower. "You have to come out now. Don't you have a robe? " (I go into and come out of the shower with naught but a towel). The problem was the Animal Control was here and they thought he was after Ginger. Tho they had Ginger in sight, she would not go near anyone so they could put her in my apartment. “Hurry”--
I came out of the bathroom with a large towel attempting to cover my somewhat larger body and paddled my wheelchair to the front door.
Beverly removed her coat and threw it over me. Outside I propped the door open and tried to coax Ginger, who was sitting in the flower bed, to come in. “Not while those others are standing there,” she sniffed. I called Hannah to the door. Ginger always goes to Hannah, rubbing and purring. “MEOW-
gotta get that doggie odor all over me!” But not this morning! Ginger never moved a paw from her garden sanctuary.  I sent poor confused Hannah back inside. “Well darn, I thought we were going out!”the disgruntled dog snuffed as she waddled back to her crate.
Still Ginger sat in the flowers in plain sight of the animal control officer if he should walk down this way. Finally I said to Sylvia, "please leave.   I don't think Ginger will come to the door while you are standing there." So Sylvia eased her walker past where Ginger sat and went to her own door to watch. Beverly, understanding what I had said to Sylvia,  stepped into my bathroom out of sight.
But just before they left, Beverly's coat slid off and I was sitting almost stark naked , only the towel over my knees, in front of the entire neighborhood.
Thank goodness the entire neighborhood was not out this early.
Once the site appeared clear to the orange queen, she darted through the door.
Quickly the outside door was closed and we had her safely out of sight. (Me too.)
In a way this social distancing thing was a blessing that morning- everyone staying away from any gathering. Of course Sylvia , Beverly and I had broken it many times over in that short period, all to save an old feral cat.
It turned out the officer was not here to catch Ginger after all. He was setting out a have-a-hart trap to capture a different cat. One who was owned by a resident and escaped from the apartment and had no intention of returning.



Comments

  1. I'm wiping the tears away from laughing! You sure can tell a good story with
    many mental images. xo, Pattyt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols