Welcome 2020

2020 has arrived.
I stayed up until midnight.  Did not watch the ball drop.  Listened to a wonderful concert broadcast from Vienna.  Hugged Hannah and Susie and sent good vibes to all my family at midnight.
I copied all the birthdays, anniversaries etc. from last year's calendar to the new one, after perusing all the many free ones sent to me in hopes of donations to their organization.  This is a trick I learned from my Mother, who always amazed everyone when she never forgot a birthday.  She had a tremendous number to recall what with three daughters,their spouses, ten grandchildren, numerous step-grands, and many great grands.  One day I noticed the calendar hanging on her kitchen wall right beside the table where she and Dad ate breakfast.  There, neatly written on each
respective day, was the name and often age, of the birthday person.
So each month when the page was turned to a new picture  and new month Mother noted the upcoming events, checking her box of cards for appropriate ones to send.  She never missed one.  She was never late.
I have adopted her wonderful idea.  Though I must confess, I am sometimes late with a card.  I get "involved" in daily stuff and forget the date.  
Now Dad had a remedy for that.  Every night on his way to bed he
took the pen which hung next to the wall calendar and put a line through the day which was ending. 
I will never be as organized as my parents were into their 90s.
However, I am trying to put to  use some of their tricks.
One thing I have been doing for many years is to write the new year
date ahead on a book of checks.  Do this on New Year's Eve.  It saves writing "Jan 6, 2018"--then having to correct, initial and otherwise make a mess of the check you are writing in 2019.
This year I did not write any date ahead.  2020 is such a unique date-kind of cute- almost like little happy faces.  I like writing 2020.
I won't forget and write 2019 on my checks.  I am glad to see that year out.  I have great hopes for 2020.

Comments

  1. I do too,Cynthia! My best wishes for a good year for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols