Dogs and the "pond"

The dog days of summer are fast approaching, if not already here in Virginia.  Many of us humans relish a dip in the pool in
this weather.   Many of our canine companions do too,  though
there are some who just think of any water as a bath--aah the dreaded bath!
I used to live quite near the beach - Emerald Isle in North Carolina.  Dogs were welcome on the beach.  I used to take my Border collie, Daisy, pack a raisin bread and cream cheese sandwich for me and some Milkbones for her along with a big jug of water and cups, sunscreen for me and a sunshade for her
and head off to spend an afternoon in the warm sun and salty
breeze.  Daisy loved water and after her first introduction to the idea of waves, she would race down the sand and trot in.  There
was a girl who was often there who had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who was a great swimmer.  The girl would throw a big floating disc far out into the surf and her dog would dive right through the incoming wave to swim out and retrieve the disc.  Of course this dog was bred to  perform this way.  One summer
two friends from New York state came with their three Black Labs and with their camper which they parked in my yard.  We had a wonderful visit doing agility on my course and letting the dogs just lie around under the trees while we visited on my shady porch.  One day I suggested we go to the beach, figuring their dogs would love the water.  (Labs, right?)  That entire afternoon, while Daisy cavorted in the surf chasing Gulls, not one of those Labs would enter the water. Pat and Harry waded in coaxing and trying to entice those three big dogs to no avail.
When we returned to my home, all three were happy to stand beneath the hose near the greenhouse.
I always kept a kiddy pool filled with water just outside the agility ring.  Most of the dogs enjoyed getting in and just sitting in it for a while.   Breed did not  seem to dictate who would go for this option.
Some seemed to believe it was just a large drinking bowl.
Daisy loved puddles, always straining at the leash as we  passed by one in order to splash through it.  Across the field from my house  ran a rather large creek, the banks of which were woodsy
keeping the water cool.  In the Springtime that creek was a frog
nursery--lots of floating green slime.  Daisy would travel over to that creek alone and venture into water up to her chin.  When she climbed out, she was dripping slime.  The first time this happened I rushed her to the greenhouse and hosed her down.
"Don't expect to go in the house like this", I told her.  The second time she came to the back door oozing green strings and mud I just pointed to the greenhouse and she went, knowing what was coming.  Ever after that, she went directly to the greenhouse and waited to be washed off before coming to the back door.  That hose water could be very chilly as I had no water heater in the greenhouse.  In early Spring and late Fall I feel quite certain those baths were not pleasant.  Daisy knew the rule.
My sister has a Greyhound.  Last summer she got a kiddy pool for Cameo.  I have never seen any dog enjoy her private pool more.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Praying mantis

Fairy Parasols